New Aquatic Animal Health Program
The CSCB recently participated in a discussion with CFIA and viewed a presentation concerning the New Aquatic Animal Health Program.
Click here to view the presentation.
The objectives of this program are:
- to prevent the introduction and spread within Canada of aquatic animal diseases, and
- to ensure healthy and sustainable aquatic resources.
Key points of the presentation include:
- Starting in December of 2011, import permits will be required for aquatic animals susceptible to regulated diseases.
- All finfish, molluscs, and crustaceans listed in Schedule III of the Health of Animals Regulations will need import permits.
- Permit applications need to be submitted prior to importation.
- CFIA will be modifying HS-OGD codes.
- Unless otherwise indicated by AIRS, Zoosanitary Certificates signed by competent authority in foreign country will need to accompany imports.
- For live animals and high risk end uses, inspections will be required.
- Inspections must be pre-arranged.